Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Dear Job Seeker, Is Your Computer Literacy Enough?

I hear people often say, ‘I am computer literate’ and I am wondering what they meant by that. The statement does not answer any question. For God sake, there are over a hundred thing you can do with a computer, so telling me that you are computer literate is very ambiguous. Bypass the computer literacy cliché and just tell me what exactly it is you can do with the computer.

Almost every CV on my table has that cliché ‘Computer Literate with Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications’ or Proficient with Word, Excel, Power Point and Internet Appreciation and I am like , and so? Is that all?



I am not in anyway disputing the importance of those applications in the day to day operations of the workplace. However, in today’s competitive and ever demanding workplace, your ability to use Word Applications, Power Point and Excel sheet does not spell you are computer literate. Computer literacy has gone beyond that.

Time has passed, when Proficiency in Microsoft Office and your use of internet gives you an added advantage in the labor market. For my friends that have jobs already, if you must remain relevant and indispensable to the system you are working with, then you must take your computer literacy level from just your ability to type on word and surfing the internet. As a matter of fact, this computer skills are what your little niece in elementary school can boast of.

I was on an interview panel yesterday, and I met a graduate of Computer Science from Yabatech who is supposed to be ‘computer literate’. And I asked him, does it mean you went to higher institution to learn how to browse and use the Microsoft office application (that I am not sure he can even use)? He defended himself by telling me that it was only theory that they were thought in school (I knew he was lying), but I asked, so if that was what you were taught in school, which one did you teach yourself? You know the answer now. He was looking at me with that ‘pity me’ gesture.

My advice to you as a job seeker is to step up your game. If you must secure your dream job then you must prepare for it. Learn an advanced computer skill that is relevant in your desired field. Everybody is proficient in Microsoft application, which alone cannot improve your chances.

It is very necessary to pursue a professional certification in a chosen computer application because at the end of the day, that might be the certificate and skill that will get you a good job and not your degree certificate. A lot of persons are feeding and excelling on just a computer skill they learnt and not their degree. It is very important. Below are some of the necessary computer skill you can add to your proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications.



CAD Design

Cisco

Oracle (Data Base Management)

Advanced programming

System Automation

SAP

Microsoft Dynamics

Quick books

Web and content development

Advanced graphics and Animation

Video editing

And a lot more!

Keep learning !

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment