Sunday, October 18, 2015

Igbos Warn Akure Monarch Over threat to dethrone Eze Ndigbo


Igbos in Ondo State have warned the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladelusi Ogunlade Aladetoyinbo against plot to dethrone the Eze Ndigbo of the state, Sir Gregory Iloehike, threatening that Igbos in the state will resist such move by the monarch.



Rising from the meeting of Ohaneze Ndigbo in Ondo State held at the Igbos house, Akure, the Igbos warned the Deji of Akure to jettison his plan to dethrone Sir Iloe­hike, even as they declared that the traditional ruler has no power to dethrone him.


It was gathered that the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo accused the Eze Ndigbo of insubordina­tion and disrespect to his au­thority, hence his decision to dethrone him.


But the Eze Ndigbo de­nied the allegation of insub­ordination leveled against him, saying he has not been rude to the Deji of Akure since he ascended the throne about six months ago.


He explained that “the Deji invited me to his palace on Monday and I honoured his invitation. I went with one of my chiefs but when I got to the palace, I saw youths numbering over 200 who started shouting as I entered. I suspected that the youths were mobilized by the monarch and I showed respect to the Deji by pros­trating for him.”


“The monarch while ad­dressing me at his palace threatened to drive all the Igbos in Akure out of the city and when I asked for the offence my people com­mitted, the youths at the pal­ace descended on me. They tore my beads and removed my crown. They attempted to beat me but the Police of­ficers at the Palace rescued me,” he stated.


He added that the invita­tion by the monarch was the first he would receive from him since the monarch as­cended the throne, pointing out that Igbos had been liv­ing harmoniously in Akure for over 70 years with the traditional rulers according them respect.


Meanwhile, the Igbos in Ondo State have pulled their weight behind the leadership of Eze Ndigbo of the state, Sir Iloehike and warned the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo against any action that can cause inter tribal crisis in the state.


The President General, Ohaneze Ndigbo in Ondo state, High Chief Okechuk­wu Okorie said the Igbos in the state have resolved to live happily with other tribes in the state, saying any attempt to dethrone the Eze Ndigbo would be chal­lenged by all the Igbos in the state.


He noted that the Eze Ndigbo who was installed in August, 2011 after emerging in a keenly contested elec­tion has not committed any offence that could lead to his dethronement.


Okorie added that only the Igbos who elected the Eze Ndigbo have the consti­tutional right to remove him, saying that “Deji of Akure has no input in the emer­gence of the Eze Ndigbo of Ondo State, so he lacks the right to dethrone or remove him.”


He urged the monarch not to be misinformed by those he described as disgruntled elements, even as he ad­vised him to seek clarifica­tion on any issue affecting the Igbos in his domain and the state at large.


The Sun.




#Igbo

No comments:

Post a Comment