Friday, February 12, 2016

Fayose Destroys Olukere’s Billboard: Riot In Ekiti

The destruction of a billboard bearing the picture of the Olukere of Ikere-Ekiti, Oba Ganiyu Ayodele Obasoyin, by Governor Ayodele Fayose on Wednesday has sparked a riot in the town.

The violence, which began at 6pm when Fayose was passing through the town on his way from Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, where he attended the thanksgiving service to mark the electoral victory of Governor Udom Emmanuel, continued yesterday.

Youths blocked major roads leading to the town, condemning Fayose for “descending too low” and vowed to “spill their blood” to defend the Olukere.



They destroyed some billboards which had the pictures of the Ogoga of Ikere, Oba Samuel Adejimi Adu, who is enjoying the governor’s backing.

Commuters passing through the town from Akure, Ita Ogbolu, Iju, Ise, Emure, Ado-Ekiti and other communities were stranded as the irate youths barricaded the highway with logs of wood and other objects.

Bonfires were lit on the road as the police mobilised to prevent the mayhem from escalating.

Businesses were paralysed by the crisis, which sent many residents indoors early.

The contentious billboard was installed at the town centre by the Olukere’s subjects to mark the celebration of last year’s Olosunta Festival.

The Olukere is locked in a rivalry battle with the Ogoga who has since been recognised by Fayose as the “only authentic paramount ruler in the community”.

According to the state‘s website, Ikere-Ekiti has two Obas-the Olukere and the Ogoga-who have existed side-by-side for ages but the government stopped the Olukere’s stipends in 1989.

Tension between the two monarchs heightened on January 23 during the inauguration of the Ogoga’s palace when Fayose, who was represented by his deputy, Kolapo Olusola, an indigene of the town, declared that the only traditional ruler recognised by the government is the Ogoga.

The contentious billboard was installed at Odo-Oja, which is the centre of the town.

Addressing a briefing in Ado Ekiti yesterday where he displayed the pictures of Fayose and his security aides destroying his billboard, Oba Obasoyin called on the Federal Government to intervene because his life is under threat.

Obasoyin recalled that he had about three weeks ago drawn attention to an alleged plan by the governor “to set the town on fire”, saying the destruction of his billboards was the fulfillment of Fayose’s earlier threat to him.

According to him, when he heard of ‘Fayose’s plans’, he informed the two Divisional Police Officers (DPOs), the Commissioner of Police, the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

He promised to do everything possible to calm down his subjects to ensure that peace returns to the troubled community

The monarch added: “Fayose came to Ikere in the evening in a convoy and parked his car by the roundabout and started tearing my billboard. I can’t go to my palace.

“I want to appeal to the governor not to burn Ikere. He should not set my town on fire. My life is at stake because if a governor can tear my billboard himself, you can imagine what he would do if he sees me face-to-face.

“Let the Federal Government take note of what is happening in Ekiti State because I have never seen it anywhere in Nigeria where a governor will tear the billboard of a traditional ruler.

“I don’t know my offence; maybe it’s a personal grudge against me I don’t know but he (Fayose) should not visit my sin on the people.

“Ikere belongs to me and not to Ogoga and I will never surrender my authority to anybody, no matter how highly placed and powerful he may be. My people are warriors; they are ready to defend the Olukere throne, which had existed before that of Ogoga.

“Fayose and Ogoga have forgotten so soon that the land Ogoga is occupying in Ikere and the authority he is using were given to him by my palace, including his crown.

“Ogoga in history was never a crowned prince anywhere, including Benin, where he claimed to have come from. I made him who he is and he should not push my people to go into war. They should let Ikere be.

“They wanted to ignite crisis and burn down my town, but I am pleading that they should desist because I am the owner of the land and I won’t allow it to burn.

“I am a descendant of Oduduwa and one of the founders of Ekiti land; so we are going to resist any attempt by Ogoga, who is a stranger in my land, to conspire with Fayose to obliterate my stool.”

Fayose’s Chief Press Secretary Idowu Adelusi has accused Oba Obasoyin of lying against his principal.

Adelusi said: “The allegations make no sense at all. There are some lies you tell and you win sympathy. But in other cases, you look foolish.

“To say that the governor destroyed the bill board or sent people to destroy whatever is a lie carried too far.

“Fayose is not from Ikere. He is not interested in who rules Ikere. How can he nurse animosity against the Olukere?

“That this administration gave recognition to the Ogoga, Fayose was simply following the law, particularly on the Ikere issue.

“None of the past administrations recognised the Olukere. Does the Olukere expect the governor to do otherwise and cause crisis in the ancient town?

“The Olukere was only ventilating his anger when he alleged that the governor destroyed or sent people to destroy his billboards. The allegation is unfounded.”

No comments:

Post a Comment