Friday, July 8, 2016

Buhari has done well so far. I see a parallel between him and Obama - US envoy .

The outgoing US Ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle, stated this today during an interactive session with newsmen in Abuja on Friday. His words: “I see a parallel between Pres. Buhari and Pres. Obama. Pres. Obama had not been in office for very long, but the people had same kind of impatience.



And I think in my country a lot of people forgot how difficult the situation was that President Obama inherited. I think the same thing is happening with President Buhari – to a certain degree. It is completely understandable to me that people have a high expectation, they are impatient, they want to see change.

But Mr President inherited a very difficult set of circumstances and some of the things that he has identified that need to be done – end corruption; reform the petroleum sector and end the conflict in the North-East. These are things that even if he works as hard as he can, it will take some time.

I understand people are impatient; the expectations from Mr President are very high. I think we have to remember what he inherited. And in my own opinion we have to be neutral and balanced. I think Mr President and his team have done a good job this first year.

I think he has put in place some things, though I am not an economist, but what he has done with the exchange rate and fuel subsidy and so on. I think in a very deliberate fashion the economy hopefully is going to improve.

But remember that in this age, no country is an economic island. What affects a country affects the economy of every other country. I gave the President very good marks and let’s see how he marches forward in the next few months.”

No comments:

Post a Comment